Our Plans that are the basis of our Residential Support Care
Wise Guys The Men’s Group Ltd
ABOUT WISE GUYS
We were established because there are very few, if any, support services available for vulnerable men in New Zealand.
Just as women sometimes need support to effect behavior change, recover from trauma, rebuild lives and achieve peace, so too do men. We work together to help achieve personal goals.
Our Residential Program in Kingseat along with our sister Community Housing Project can accommodate 50 individuals.
TOGETHER WE CAN
We’re a last resort and first step to rebuilding life when events overcome you and you’re without a home. We can accommodate you in an Emergency & are an Emergency Housing Provider so when addictions, life, stress, family or relationship breakdowns leave you homeless and unemployed. Working together we can help you regain control over behavior, such as drug and alcohol addiction, or an inability to cope with relationships and everyday situations.
We’ll help you pick up the pieces and rebuild your life, offering counseling, training and support in a non-judgmental environment to get you back on track and employed again. We’re a unique educational and therapeutic Retreat – a Refuge in a peaceful rural setting – run by Trained Professionals and others who have been where you are and have come through it.
Getting back on track may not be easy – but working together we can help you do it. So if you, or someone you know, wants to get more out of life when every day has become a challenge, Contact Us.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE
At our Refuge at Kingseat, South Auckland, we offer: One-on-one and group Counseling, Life Skills training and Emergency Housing Accommodation.
But life is also about living and being independent. That’s why we have activities such as boating, fishing, gardening, handyman and social events – that make life start to become & feel normal again.
When you decide to want to leave us and return to the community, we can help you find support groups in various Auckland suburbs.
PPP: Service Guide / Wise Guys PPP= Projects, Plans & Programs Wise Guys The Men’s Group Ltd USER PAYS BUSINESS MODEL = WE ARE NOT A CHARITY
It’s always been our firm belief, that reliable ongoing community support services for both men and women could be provided on a client funded basis without the need of special additional government funding. The together strong principle of organic communal learning through shared joint experiences is the result, and our business model reflects this. i.e. all of our services are paid for by way of income derived from residents rent payments.
The Idea is to bring men and women back into life though communal fishing trips, and other positive memory making events such as Monthly Pig/Lamb on The Spit etc. Along with problem solving / team building activities that have been around for a long time here at Wise Guys and defines everything we do, from getting up early to get a pick of the free range eggs available in our back yard, to whom to team up with for shopping trips or making the decision to fend for themselves etc, all behavior (decisions) bring with it inherent learning opportunities. Our trained Facilitators, or Volunteer crew members are always close by to lend a hand and help residents make a learning, both positive and negative count here, as the wrong communal or individual decisions can often lead to undesirable results, leading to new learnings etc.
Over time residents learn that working together improves their lives and that fending for themselves often does not work out so well. It is our aim to teach new communal behavior patterns that equip residents with the necessary tools and encourages a deeper understanding of the importance of working and learning together.
To foster growth in general Wise Guys the Men’s Group Ltd provides the following Plans, Programs and Projects.
- Supported Communal Living Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who is wanting to live long term in a safe and community minded environment, rather than being living alone and unprotected in a Boarding House.
- Exit Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who, is seeking Alcohol or Drug Rehabilitation and requires a valid Exit Address as part of their application.
- Ongoing Wellness Plan: This plan is specifically designed for Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Program Graduates wishing to continue to live a life of sober fun, fishing and monthly Pig on the Spit Feast are just some of the ways this plan help you ease back into life.
- Bridging / Tie Over Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who, is waiting for a housing NZ or other suitable home, seeking temporary safe accommodation in the meantime.
- Life Skills Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who, wishes to learn the art of communal living and is seeking to learn vital life skills to help in later life.
- Community Integration Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who has been out of jail for more than 12 month and is struggling in the community of “Old Friends” wishing to get away from that i.e. go fishing instead. This Plan has criteria that needs to be met before your acceptance into the House is accepted.
- Mild Mental Health Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who is currently under mental health or has a mental health support worker visiting on a regular basis, but is seeking a more communal experience to life, able to access all normal services and participate in life with like minded residents in a similar situation to you.
- Respite Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who, is for whatever reason in life seeking time out and a place to be alone or in company of others, also seeking peace. With 160 Acres of land as part of our Kingseat residence, there’s nothing like living in the country to get away from it all. Relaxed living & a rural outlook as well. What more could someone want.
- Hospital Exit Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who, has found himself in hospital with no valid exit address due to current life stresses and wishes to get his or her life back on track. We will pick you up from hospital, provide you with clothing if required, (you’d be surprised how many men we have had arriving in hospital gowns in the past) a warm bed, your own room and generally a place to heal and eventually return back to life, in the meantime we will organize your GP visits, take you to all your WINZ, CADS, AA, STUDDY, WINZ required training, INTERNAL AFFAIRS, COUNSELING etc, in short we help you get to any service you require to heal and get a fresh NEW Start.
- Emergency Housing Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who has had life events, overcome them & are without a home. So when addictions, life, stress, family or relationship breakdowns leave you homeless & unemployed, this plan is for you.
- Leadership Development Plan: This plan is specifically designed for someone who wants to further his or her education whilst staying with us, and consist of an initial 12 week facilitator training course AKA Community Support Worker / Crew Member
Our latest Projects
WISE GUYS COMMUNITY EMERGENCY HOUSING PROJECT
WISE Guys newest venture is our Community Housing Project. We call this our Wise Guys CHP for short. This Project is focused on getting men’s lives back in order / back on track & by giving them the guidance needed to work & live together in a safe environment, taught necessary life skills, compassion, comradery & with the aim of getting our residents back with family & new friends again in time.
The Wise Guys Community Housing Project provides innovative, specialized housing and support services for people living with mental illness, addictions and other challenges. By designing programs based on research, assessment, evaluation, and implementation of best practices, the Wise Guys CHP is leading the way in developing solutions to end homelessness.
The homeless are not homogenous. By offering a variety of housing and support options, so Wise Guys CHP can ensure that appropriate, supportive environments are available to our clients.
The Wise Guys CHP family of programs includes Emergency Housing, transitional housing, women’s housing, long term housing, outreach programs, food services and community living support.
Once an applicant and our staff determine which is the best housing program for that individual, the applicant is shortlisted.
Many of the Wise Guys CHP Housing programs operate from a low barrier, housing first perspective – meaning that we aren’t too rigid & require that people meet certain standards of behavior, or are compliant with mental health or addiction treatment plans, to receive services and housing support from us. Instead, we welcome them to a community of people experiencing similar challenges. It is all part of our programs to help change things.
The Wise Guys CHP has been a leader in developing a ‘Housing First’ approach with its clients, providing supported housing to those with challenging behaviors, active substance use, and no psychiatric treatment links or medication use.
Our Wise Guys CHP is unique in our ‘Housing First’ philosophy, as the majority of the current supported housing programs in Auckland require that applicants achieve a substantial measure of “housing readiness” before they can access the housing.
Typically this means the client must be stable, linked with treatment services, able to self-administer medications and have minimal levels of challenging behavior, and whilst this is also true with us in the long run, in order or a client to remain with us long term, it is not part of our intake criteria. Having said that we do insist on a drug /alcohol and violent free house and will evict house guest found threatening individuals or the general peace of the house. Harm Reduction Policy applies.
By providing services to those who are not considered ‘housing ready’ by other organizations, the Wise Guys CHP has been successful in breaking the cycles of chronic homelessness, instability and substance use for our clients by providing assertive interventions within a high tolerance environment.
The goal is not simply to get people off the streets but to provide a comprehensive array of supports that assist people in achieving stability which allows them to move forward with their lives. By providing housing and support in a client-centered environment, and Wise Guys CHP engages clients to create an atmosphere of trust where opportunities for change can be discovered.
While we accept people who actively use substances or choose not to receive mental health treatment, a strict No Alcohol or Drugs policy is in place in regards to consumption on site, we provide housing and intensive support for some of the most chronically homeless and challenging people in our community.
To date, the outcomes of these two programs have exceeded our expectations. We have seen that with the right supports and opportunities, people will choose health and stability and to move towards a better life for themselves.
We believe, that the current Wise Guys Community Housing Project “Housing First” programs make an effective and necessary contribution to the health of any large urban community and with this in mind are actively seeking opportunities to expand our now well proven Supported Living housing programs.
The Wise Guys Community Emergency Housing Project provides temporary shelter for people living on the streets, who are living with mental illness, addiction or have experienced trauma in their lives.
Villa C4 in Kingseat is our first line of housing support for the homeless. The shelter provides Emergency Housing and care for people living with mental health, substance use and other challenges. The Kingseat shelter has been in operation since 2013. It moved to its current location from Dairy Flat its first Rural Housing Project and first Men’s Refuge established one year prior.
Clients are able to stay longer than at most shelters, which gives our facilitators and crew time to help residents access appropriate support services based on their individual needs and circumstances. An average the length of stay at the Kingseat shelter can range from 3 days to 6 months with some residents deciding to live on site for a number of years is also not uncommon.
Referrals are accepted from individuals themselves, hospitals, community service providers, health-care practitioners, employment assistance WINZ workers the CAB, Police and other local shelters.
Every client/ house guest / resident gets their own private room, which is a unique feature of the Wise Guys CHP. There are 43 shelter rooms in Kingseat with a further seven rooms in our Manurewa based Community Housing Project, bringing the total occupancy capacity at this stage to 50 rooms, each with its own window, bed, lamp, night stand, easy chair and secure wardrobe.
The Wise Guys Community Housing Project is staffed 24 hours a day by Trained and Experienced group members who liaise with doctors, mental health teams, counselors and other professionals.
Because clients at the Wise Guys Community Housing Project have often been turned away from other shelters and housing organizations due to their complex health needs, at Wise Guys CHP team members respect each individual client / house guest, and work with every person who comes to the program to help them regain a sense of dignity and self worth.
If you know someone who is in need of assistance please do not hesitate to contact the Wise Guys Community Housing Project for further information, 24 hours a day, on 0800494734 or visit our website on www.08004wiseguys.org or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/groups/wiseguysmens/
Our seven bedroom Manurewa Community Housing Project:
Provide support to individuals while working closely and proactively with the community, family and additional service providers. The House Father collaborates with each person and their support network to ensure that goals are self-identified and self managed.
Clients may be currently or chronically homeless, are trying to make the leap to market housing, and living with mental illness and addictions. Manurewa Team Members co-ordinate their residents support with the Kingseat based Crew daily and participate in the Kingseat based Monday morning House Meeting.
Wise Guys The Men’s Group Ltd pride ourselves in providing help, support, companionship & all else that becomes “HELPING TO GET YOUR LIFE BACK ON TRACK”