WISE Guys Men’s Refuge
Co-Founders – Stephan John & Brent Milesi
Services We Offer:
The Wise Guys Men’s Refuge & Community Housing Project, offers Emergency Accommodation, Emergency Housing, Urgent Accommodation as well as Long Term Accommodation for up to 50 men and women. Our service is based in Kingseat, South Auckland. We are also a Men’s Retreat / Men’s Shelter that specialize in helping men with nowhere to go, homeless or need help to get their lives back on track.
Professional Counseling, Budgeting, Clergy, Social & Mental Health support services are also available. Doctors visits are through a practice in Pukekohe as part of our residential program. Wherever possible, we will support residents, if needed, in liaising with other services. Trips to a WINZ office are organized.
We work with places like WINZ, Men’s groups, Salvation Army & other such places to help house those who have nowhere to call home. Our Kingseat Refuge / Retreat is always ready & willing to work with organizations where possible to give you a roof over your head if you meet our admission criteria.
We regularly receive donations of food & groceries etc from the Mercy Mission, the Auckland City Mission, the Salvation Army and various other local and individual donors.
Laundry facilities, house phone for local phone calls, Gym, Pool Room, TV room, Games areas, Volley/Basket Ball, Rugby Field etc, are also available at no charge.
The Wise Guys Men’s Refuge & Wise Guys Community Housing Project will not discriminate on the basis of perceived level of need or current status. There is strict rules regarding Jail or in trouble with Police etc. Please note we DO NOT DO BAIL ADDRESSES or have Wise Guys used as your Bail address as this is not permitted & you will not be allowed to live here. The needs of our current residents, will always take precedence and any referral which has the potential to affect this, will need to be discussed prior to admission. We are open 24/7 & are able to be contact via phone & can arrange pick ups.
Residents should be entitled to safe & supported accommodation. In order to ensure we maintain a positive culture, anyone with a history of assault, weapons, arson, violence or sexual offending, recently out of Jail or on Bail will generally NOT be considered suitable for admission.
Alcohol / Drugs:
Absolutely NO ALCOHOL or DRUGS are to be brought into or consumed on the premises. Anyone who is caught doing so will be evicted immediately. Harm reduction philosophy applies. Residents engaged in persistent harmful Alcohol or Drug use may be deemed unsuitable and asked to leave.
Violence / Abuse:
Any Resident who is found to have Harassed, Threatened, Intimidated, Bullied, Stood Over, made Sexual Advances or Physically Assaulted another Resident will be evicted immediately. Police will be used if necessary.
Visitors are encouraged to the Retreat.
Residents may have a motor vehicle which must be Registered & Warranted. Residents also need to be licensed to drive the vehicle. Off street parking is available for visitors and house guests. Wise Guys The Men’s Group Limited takes no responsibility for damage or theft from vehicles elsewhere in or on the property.
|Wise Guys Community Housing Project|
What we can offer: INTANGIBLE
- A Sense of Belonging
What we can offer: TANGIBLE
- A Roof over your head
- Unlimited internet
- TV room (and stand alone areas)
- Pool Room
- Trips are organized to W.I.N.Z or Internal Affairs for ID applications etc.
- Doctors visits are organized through a practice in Pukekohe
- Gym / Basket Ball / Tennis / Rugby Field / etc areas
- Play Station / Xbox / Slot Car racing / Table Tennis areas
- Occasional Deep Sea & Coastal Fishing
- Two day kitchens
What we are looking for from you the new house guest:
- A willingness to go without Drugs or Alcohol whilst staying with us.
- A willingness to help to keep our place clean.
- An understanding that for the duration of your stay, you will be assigned an area in our Villa, along with one or two others possibly, and that you are to keep this area up to your agreed standard.
- An understanding that this is a program designed to help you get sorted and off the streets.
- Attendance of a weekly 10:00 AM – Monday morning House Meeting
- Able to do your own W.I.N.Z Applications, or a willingness to learn how to look after your own unsupervised and unsupported affairs over time. (full 100% support is provided up until then)
- An understanding that any help you or a Trained Facilitator provides, towards day to day running of our house, is done so on a voluntary basis and in no way constitutes employment by Wise Guys The Men’s Group Ltd. Any help provided is done so with the spirit of collective friendship and healing in mind.
- (I.E: To be totally clear we do not pay house guest for chores)